Mission Statements for the ACU
- The ACU is a non-profit sport organization serving the Canadian Ultra Marathon community.
- Membership in the ACU is open to everyone. It is made up of individual members from all across Canada.
- It has an affiliation with Athletics Canada (AC) and the International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU).
- The purpose of the Association is to promote, encourage, and develop increased awareness and participation in running Ultra Marathons.
L’ ACU est l’organisme administratif national qui gère et promouvois le sport de l’Ultramarathon au Canada., incluant le cross-country et la course sur route. Son objectif est la poursuite du leadership, du développement et de la compétition qui assure une performance de niveau mondial. Sous les auspices d’Héritage Canada et d’Athlétisme Canada, l'ACU a pour mandat de développer les coureurs à travers le Canada dans un large éventail d’événements incluant 50km, 50 miles, 100 km, 100 miles, et autres ultra distances en vue de rencontrer les normes de qualification pour participer aux évènements mondiaux sanctionés par l’IAU sous les auspices de l’IAAF.
The ACU is the national governing body that promotes and manages ultra running in Canada, including cross-country running and road running. Its purpose is the pursuit of leadership, development and competition that ensures world-level performance in athletics.
Under the auspice of Heritage Canada and Athletics Canada, the ACU has the mandate of developing runners across Canada in a large range of events including 50km, 50 miles, 100 km, 100 miles and other ultra distances, in order for them to meet the qualifying standards to participate in world ultra events sanctioned by the IAU under the auspice of the IAAF.
In order to meet its objectives, the Association is the "National Voice" for Ultra Running in Canada and it:
- Links to other athletic associations and International Federations
- Recognizes athletic achievements and contributions to Ultra Running
- Promotes Ultra Marathon Running Events and Ultra Marathon Series
- Validates and records Canadian records in ultra distances
- Selects National Championship sites
- Annually ranks Canadian Ultra Runners
- Selects National Teams for International Championships
- Selects the Canadian Ultra Runner of the Year
- Promotes and conducts educational seminars and workshops